Hook-up Instructions (for SALT)
Hooking up at the telescope end
Note: the SALT ST5000 has an electronics Base and sensor Head at the telescope end.
- Check that the power entry module Base is OFF.
- Connect the Base to a grounded AC outlet. Leave AC power OFF.
- Connect P101 and P102 inter-system cable ends to J101 and J102 on the Base.
- Connect P1 & P2 inter-system cable ends to J1 and J2 on the Head.
- If you have the breakout box:
- Connect P401 cable end to J401 on the breakout box
- Connect P103 cable end to J103 on the Base.
- Make sure the FLT/TEST switch on the breakout box is in TEST position.
- If you do not have the breakout box
- Connect the P103 standalone connector to J103 on the Base.
- Connect fiber optic cables #1 - #6 at the Base. Save the protective caps for reuse and transport.
- Leave the AC power off.
- You are done at the telescope end.
Hooking up at the control room end
Note: The SALT ST5000 requires the ST5000 fiber interface box (provided), a video monitor, and a Java-enabled computer in the control room.
- Make sure the power entry module switch on the BACK of the interface box is OFF.
- Make sure the power switch on the FRONT of the interface box is OFF.
- Connect the interface box to grounded AC power. Leave AC power OFF.
- Connect the RS-232 cable from J603 on the interface box to COM1 on the PC.
- Connect the 10base-T network cable to J602.
- Connect the RS-170 video output to the appropriate converter/monitor.
- Connect fiber optic cables #1 - #6 to the interface box. Save the rubber caps.
- You are done in the control room.
Starting up a star finding session
- Turn on AC power at the rear of the interface box.
- Turn on AC power at the front of the interface box. NOTE: when rack mounted, leave the rear switch on and control the AC with just the front switch.
- Start up the ST5000 GUI program on the computer.
- Watch the command window during the tracker power-up to monitor boot-up progress
- Turn on AC at the ST5000 Base. Wait 60 seconds for the boot-up to finish.
- NOTE: the star finding catalogs take another minute to load; you can't do star finding until the catalogs are loaded.
- To use the ST5000 from the GUI, start here.